March 12, 2009

Wednesday 8th? March (Okay, I looked, it's the 11th) Thinking about how utilitarian things are, here. Beds being comfotable are not important. You sleep, because everyone else is sleeping. Eating - the kitchens are not fancy, if you actually have one. Since you eat rice +1 for all meals, you really only need 2 pans and some fire. If you have a stove, good for you. But a few people just have cement blocks and firewood intertwined and ashes blowing all over the place on a windy day like today. I guess this way, they never have to empty it, like a traditonal fireplace. I am going to add to this list, My house. I sleep there and keep my stuff there. I really like it, made it myself. Surrounded by trees - Palm, mango, orange, etc. I think the mangos will be ready in a month. It's weird here how people just switch houses, when company comes. And the bathroom... as long as your shit goes away from your body and you can no longer see it... that is the goal. A hole, "over there," a flushing toilet, outhouse with a seat, outhouse without a seat.... Outhouse with a hole... It's just not important to have 2 sinks, a 36" double mirror vanity, and 6 freakin' lightbulbs. Do you know that people in the USA have more lightbulbs in the bathroom mirror alone, than the people have in their entire house here? Why do americans need a light in the bathroom with 6 bulbs? What is it that I was looking at? If i was renting a place, I turned all but one off. Think about it - You already know where your face, teeth, eyes, and ears are. Do you actually need a mirror? I didnt have one here for the first 6 months, and i didnt die. Seriously, i'm still alive and well. More than well. Today was the first day I made "Word of the Day" cards, which I put up at the Tienda. I was going to just make one word, but ended up with 5 cards. 2 colors, (red and blue), day of the week, a number (10), and the word "She." Can I use than in a sentence? Yes - "She is beautiful." I have 2.5 months until i have to go back to work. I am not looking forward to it. I really like my job, but I like it here , more. So much more. Although I dont work here, i am busy. Just screwing around, but it's great. While i was in the USA, Rosi watched my chickens at her house. That was nice. She told me she was going to train them to sleep in a tree like real chickens, but it did not happen. They are ground chickens, they have decided. It's just dangerous, there are opposums here. And according to Ting, opposums like to eat chickens in the middle of the night. But, also according to Ting, they eat his yucca, sugar cane, pinapples ( its really the rogue cows) and everything else he can't manage to grow. That was mean. But I ask him all the time "Where are you going?" and he says " To dig up the yucca before the 'Gato de blah blah blah' eats it." Can't Blame a Guy for Tryin'