February 23, 2009

FEB 17

Feb 17 In a bit of a pissy mood today. Since my house has no walls yet - this leaves me with NO privacy. Even in the bathroom, since the heavy wind keeps blowing down my curtain rod. My back REALLY hurts this week. Not sure why, but it does. So I like to sit in my hammock and read. But, inevitably - somebody shows up. Just to chat. I can't even pretend that i am not home by closing the front door and not answering it if i choose not to. I have no front door. And often, i get back from somewhere, and Oli is waiting for me in a porch chair. He is the main violater of my private time. It's not like I need to do anything personal, but jesus - dont you have a home? If so, please go to it. It's not only him, and I tried to explain that, but my espanol does not allow for lots of words. So of course he is mad, b/c i asked him to please go home. How do you say this in a nice way? You can't. He built me a new door for my gate ( i told him not to) and as he left, he whipped it into the creek. He did that with the last one he built but did not attach, either. And since I am psychic, i know he will ride on the Main Drag of Malena on the borrowed motorcycle of Marvin and go faaaasssst! (yes, i was right) Being cool, he was. So, i picked some oranges from Goyo and then Coco made a move on me. Hmmm. I swear, this place is too small for a girl like me. So i decided to watch a movie tonight. They are borrowed from the neighbor, and never, ever run all the way to the end. Irritating, but i guess it is better than doing nothing. Maybe not. Tonight, i watched almost all of Transformers, Indiana Jones and something else with action figures. Since they are burned and in spanish, I never know what it is until it is too late. I wish I had a TV, b/c i miss Law and Order and Golden Girls. Then, I think about all the time I wasted watching TV. As if that I didnt watch the last and final episode of America's Top Model, I would actually be affected. ( I never watched that show - just an example) I have not had TV in 3 months. A recent Couch surfer said she did not have one for 5 years I think. So instead she probably reads, in fact I know she does. I guess it is just another form of entertainment. A National Geographic show can be just as good as a non-fiction book. I guess we all waste our time in our own special way, huh? I prefer to read non-fiction, then I am actually learning something. My friend Loes has lots of books, but most are in Dutch. I will read all of her English books and then move on to another gringo who has books. It's wierd - that people move here and bring books that they have already read. It's like bringing dirty laundry that you have no intention of washing. There are people who will go with you - There are people who will wait for you to come back- and Then there are people who wont even care that you left. I made that myself. Nora was leaving today on the path, and I guess with all the wind, a snake fell out of a tree and wiggles past her. She appeared to be quite shooken up, but there was not much I could do - it was gone and away. Se Fue! I am painting the walls and wood of my house today and tomorrow. The first floor will be a nice green, to match the trees, and the second will be a nice blue to match the sky. I might even get crafty and put a strip of brown on the bottom to match the mud that will splash during rainy season. I really want my Dad to come down here. He is resisting and it is pissing me off. I dont think that 10 days out of his life is really going to .... what.... is the word???? He needs to get out of his box. And it is just my luck that he is just going to be finishing up a trip to Florida, so then he will be all flustered and weird. I want him to come here, so he knows what the hell I am talking about when we tallk on the phone. He think it is funny when i say "The" Phone booth. Who in the US still uses a phone booth??!? I havent used one in like 10 years. Only when I am here. I have no intention of buying a cell here, since there is no service in this village. They dont have Unlimited Plans, you just buy minutes. Well, if i am going to buy minutes, I can save myself money and just buy a phone card. And for anyone who cares... I tried again to get the chickens to sleep outside. They are having none of that business. Trees! ha! I keep planning to make then a little house and lock them in it, and then when they are used to it, i will keep it unlocked. But I havent gotten that far yet. I get side tracked so easy here. It's weird. They lay of the land does not help, either. Since it is west coast, beach, mountain and then my house, i get 30 minutes less sunlight than everyone else here. But I also get to wake up earlier. Either by chickens or the sun bleaching my eyes open. Since I am missing a wall upstairs, i can watch watch Juansito and his dad herd the cows around in the next pasture. There are plantain trees in the way, but it entertains me and then i get up. Nearly missing the cat whose ass leaks green crap, and then once the chickens realize I am awake, they rush to see who is first to be under my flipflop. You would think they would learn from Blue, what happens when you race to be under my flipflop without me knowing it. They are sleeping under my countertop, heads stretched out all over, I dont think it is normal. It looks like they have broken necks. When they take naps, they dont do that.